Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Better Uses for Excessive Phone Books

A blog I follow, Afraid of Failing, had a recent post about an abundance of phone books. Now, I only get two at a time, but I still have a hard time throwing out my old phone books once I receive a new one. So I went to look in my cupboard where I keep my phone books. LOL! I have 9! Recycling is always an option, but I decided to find alternative uses for the extra and expired books that can help us save money.

  • Tear the pages out and use them for packing when mailing packages.
  • Papier mache'
  • It could make some interesting, but cheap, gift wrap for Christmas. (might take a little work to piece it together on the bigger gifts)
  • Recycle in a blender to make homemade paper.
  • Cut out the ads in the Yellow Pages that you use frequently and paste into a notebook for reference.
  • The thicker ones do make great "last-minute" booster seats.
  • If you stamp, use the pages to stamp you project on to catch the over-stamp, tear out and throw away.
  • Makes a decent cutting board for craft projects - not the best, but it works.
  • Makes great templates for sewing. Instead of using tissue paper for your patterns.
  • Would probably make a neat "altered book"

and don't forget:

  • It can always be used to level out the chair or table with the uneven leg.

Do you have more ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to report YELLOW BOOK, VERIZON AND YELLOW PAGES to the EPA. I live in NYC and each year all three of the above companies leave 20-2" thick books on my door step. Guess what, there's only 9 apartments in my building and they distribute double the books necessary throughout my neighborhood and the city and probably the country each and every year.
What's worse is that no one in my building even wants one book per household. The majority of books wind up on the sidewalk for refuse pick-up in un-opened bundles of ten. Why can't this egregious and offensive waste be controlled?
Not only the paper, but think of the fuel waste and pollution from delivery trucks.
I think these books should be on a request only basis. For our children, this blatant waste should be curtailed.
Thanks for reading.